- A robot can now cross a busy highway without being hit
- Football coaches still direct their teams from the bench, but their teams consist entirely of robots.
- Because of rising inflation, the U.S. issues a new currency to soften the impact of high prices. Many realistic people turn to barter.
- There is an open market for used and reconditioned body parts.
- An artificial brain, as complex as the human brain, proves to have conscious thoughts and emotions.
- Authoritarian governments in various nations are using mind and behavior control chemicals on their subjects to suppress dissent.
- The Soviet Union attempts to to change its history by using tachyons.
- The black pope of Rome transfers the Vatican to Jerusalem.
- International terrorists, employing nuclear weapons, destroy a major world capitol. This leads to police repressions, which in turn leads to a worldwide disarmament conference. As a result all nuclear-weapon systems are scrapped.
- One million people are living permanently in space colonies.
Obviously 2010 is going to be a very incredible year. It's a shame that a world capitol is going to be destroyed, and I'm not sure how I feel about the Soviet Union coming back, but at least we'll have robots that can play football.
Source: Wallace, Amy; Wallace, Irving; and Wallechinsky, David. (1981). "The Chronology of the Future." The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Predictions. 468: pp. 11-20. ISBN: 0-553-20198-0. Buy it here for a single penny and learn the secrets of tomorrow.